(American, 1867 - 1947)
A native of Buffalo, New York, Paul King studied at the Buffalo Art Students’ League and was a member of the Bohemian Sketch Club. He went to New York and studied under the muralist Henry Siddons Mowbray (1859–1928) at the Art Students’ League from 1901 to 1904. During his student years King also worked as a commercial artist and made illustrations for Harper’s and Life magazines. He went to Europe to study in Holland and visited France, Italy, and Spain. After returning to the United States, King moved to Philadelphia. He exhibited intermittently at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts from 1903 to 1933 and at the National Academy of Design from 1907 to 1945, where he was awarded the prestigious Altman Prize for the best landscape in 1923. King received awards from the Salmagundi Club in New York (of which he was a member) and won a silver medal at the San Francisco Exposition in 1915. He served on the board of directors at the Philadelphia School of Design for Women and was its acting president from 1915 to 1918. King joined the artists’ colony at Stony Brook on Long Island in 1922 and had his first solo show at the Feragil Galleries in New York in 1924. He lived in Princeton, New Jersey, from 1927 to 1928, when he moved to Troy, New York. He died at Stony Brook.¹ Notes 1. Edward Hale Brush, “The Art of Paul King, A.N.A.” The American Magazine of Art (February 1924), vol. 15, pp. 59–63, and WWWAM, vol. 2, p. 1849.