Hugh Bolton Jones

(American, 1848-1927)

Born in Baltimore, Hugh Bolton Jones received his artistic training at the Maryland Institute and later studied with Horace Wolcott Robbins (1842 1904) in New York. He first exhibited at the National Academy of Design in New York in 1867 and contributed regularly thereafter to its annual exhibitions. He also exhibited at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philadelphia, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Brooklyn Art Association, the Boston Art Club, and the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.; he exhibited Ferry Inn at the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia in 1876. In that same year he and his brother Francis Coates Jones (1857-1932) went to France and joined Thomas Hovenden (1840 1895), a friend from Baltimore, at the artists' colony at Pont Aven in Brittany, where both brothers were strongly influenced by the plein air painting of the Barbizon School. Hugh Bolton Jones made sketching trips to Spain, North Africa, and England, sending several works from Europe for exhibition in Baltimore in 1878; that year his painting The Return of the Cows, Brittany was also shown at the Exposition Universelle in Paris. He also sent paintings to the Paris Salon (1878) and to the Royal Academy (1880) and the Suffolk Street Gallery in London. In 1881 Jones returned to the United States and settled in New York, where he shared a studio with his brother. In that same year he was also elected a member of the Society of American Artists and an associate of the National Academy of Design; he was made a full member of the National Academy in 1883. Although he maintained a studio in the city, he spent most of his time in the country, painting Barbizon-influenced, plein air landscapes along the East Coast. He spent many summers painting in the Berkshires in Massachusetts. In both 1889 and 1900, Jones was awarded bronze medals at the Exposition Universelle in Paris. He also won medals at two other international expositions in Paris and at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893, the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in Saint Louis in 1904, and the Panama Pacific Exposition in San Francisco in 1915. Prominent collectors such as W. T. Walters of Baltimore and Thomas B. Clarke owned his paintings, and today his works are in the Peabody Institute in Baltimore, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, and the Pennsylvania