(American, 1841 - 1919)
The genre and landscape painter Edward Lamson Henry was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He grew up in New York City, and at age seventeen he began studying art in Philadelphia at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and with F. Weber (n.d.). From 1860 to 1862 he was in Paris, where he studied with Charles Louis Suisse (1846-1906), Charles Gleyre (1806-1874), and Gustave Courbet (1819-1877). When he returned to the United States, he settled in New York City and began his career as a professional artist. In 1864 he served in the Civil War as a captain’s clerk for the Union. He returned to New York and set up a studio in the Tenth Street Studio Building, where he remained until 1885. His many patrons included the Union League Club of New York, the painter Albert Bierstadt (1830-1902), and James W. Drexel. Henry maintained a summer studio in Cragsmoor in southeastern New York State, which became an important artists’ colony, attracting painters like J. G. Brown (1831-1913), Charles Courtney Curran (1861-1942), and George Inness (1825-1894). Henry received numerous awards, including honorable mention at the Exposition Universelle in Paris in 1889 and the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893. He exhibited regularly at the National Academy of Design, the Century Association, the Lotus Club, the Salmagundi Club, the Artists’ Fund Society, and the New-York Historical Society, all in New York City. The Pennsylvania Academy showed his paintings from 1859 to 1868 and from 1877 to 1879. Henry’s paintings are now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, the Yale University Art Gallery in New Haven, the Albany Institute of History and Art, and the New York State Museum in Albany, and the Shelburne Museum in Vermont, as well as in numerous private collections.