(American, 1911 - 1989)
Born in Philadelphia, Biagio Pinto studied at the School of Industrial Arts and the Barnes Foundation in Merion, Pennsylvania as well as in England, France, Italy, and Spain. Pinto became an art instructor and taught at the Philadelphia College of Art from 1962 to 1972 and at the Main Line Center of Art in Haverford, Pennsylvania from 1964 to 1972. Pinto won numerous awards including the Philadelphia Art Club Award, the Barnes Foundation Scholarship for European Study, the Philadelphia Sketch Club Medal, the American Artists Congress Award, and the Lambert Fund of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. He has had several one man exhibitions including ones at the Makler Gallery, the Philadelphia Art Alliance, and the Mellon Gallery, Philadelphia; the Bignou Gallery, Paris; and the Valentine Gallery, New York. His work is in the permanent collections of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia; the Barnes Foundation, Merion, Pennsylvania; the Allentown Art Museum; the Dallas Museum of Contemporary Art; and the Miami Museum of Modern Art. Pinto retired to Venice, Florida, where he died. His daughter Gina is a sculptor, and two other brothers Angelo and Salvatore are painters.