Signed and dated at lower left: "Major./Kollner from life 1841. Brigade Inspector, Penna. Militia"
The London Purchase Farm is located on Eagle Road in Upper Makefield Township, PA. A portion of the stone structure dates back to about 1735 however, the land was purchased by the London Land Company prior to 1718, thus the name London Purchase. At some point between 1718 and 1733 John Chapman purchased the land and after his death in 1743, the property was willed to his son of the same name.
During the American Revolution, the property served as headquarters for General Henry Knox and Captain Alexander Hamilton. Little is known about what occurred there during the nineteenth century but in 1974 the house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
copyright © 2018 Schwarz Gallery