Newbold Hough Trotter : Inlet House, Atlantic City from Brigantine
Newbold Hough Trotter (Inlet House, Atlantic City from Brigantine<br>)

[larger image

   sold  This item has been sold
Artist: Newbold Hough Trotter
Title: Inlet House, Atlantic City from Brigantine
Media: Oil on canvas, 5 × 14 3/8 inches
Description: Signed at lower right: “N. H. Trotter”
Inscribed and dated in ink on backing: “#COCC/Inlet House A. City from Brigantine/1895–1870–N.H. Trotter”

Trotter was best known for his animal subjects, but he also painted landscapes. His painting Wounded Buffaloes Pursued by Prairie Wolves (location unknown) was shown at the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia in 1876 and was purchased by General William Tecumseh Sherman for Army headquarters in Washington, D.C.; Trotter subsequently executed three commissions for the War Department and an equestrian portrait of General Sherman. His interest in natural history led to a commission to illustrate Hayden’s Journal of the Mammals of North America, for which he completed thirty paintings before the project was cancelled for financial reasons.

This view of the Inlet House in Atlantic City was taken from Brigantine, a town to the north across the Absecon Inlet. According to an early history of Atlantic City, the Inlet House was a large structure located on Clam Creek. The same source described the Inlet as “a large body of water at the upper end of the island, where sailing and fishing boats, in charge of experienced captains, can be hired by the day or by the hour. The sail through the bays or out to sea, through the Inlet outlet, is delightful, and the fishing is generally very good.”1 A view of the Inlet House from a distant vantage point on the boardwalk is preserved in a 1909 postal card photograph.2 The Atlantic County Historical Society has an undated newspaper clipping with a photograph of the building that identifies it as the “Inlet Hotel former location of Hyman Shore Dinners from Atlantic City long ago operated by Josh and Max Hyman.” The Inlet House was the site of the famous Captain Starns Restaurant from the 1920s until the ’70s, when the building was demolished.


1. Alfred M. Heston, Absegami: Annals of Eyren Haven and Atlantic City, 1609 to 1904 (Camden, N.J.: Sinnickson and Sons, 1904), p. 365; see also pp. 31–32.

2. See historic photographs on the City of Atlantic City website, at http://www.cityofatlanticcity.org/historical/gallery/pages/ac_inlet_1909_jpg.htm

copyright © 2017 Schwarz Gallery
Price: This item is no longer available for sale
Inventory: RS 3942
Category: •a:American•a:Philadelphia•beach•marine•New Jersey•nineteenth century•seascape•
The Schwarz gallery is not responsible for any errors or omissions contained in this web site.