|Artist: ||Charles Lewis Fussell|
|Title: ||Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn|
|Media: ||Oil on canvas, 8 x 11 1/2 inches|
|Description: ||Signed and inscribed at lower left: “C.L. FUSSELL/[FT.] HAMILTON”|
Charles Lewis Fussell moved to Brooklyn, New York in 1889 and over the next eight years painted numerous views of the borough’s rapidly vanishing landscape. Fussell’s Brooklyn landscapes are noteworthy because growing urbanization was transforming what William Cullen Bryant had considered “little more than New York’s vast dormitory,” into a densely populated suburb.
Fort Hamilton is located at a strategic position on the southwestern tip of Brooklyn, at what is now the base of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. After seizing New Amsterdam from Holland in 1664, the British erected a fortification on the site called Fort Lewis with cannons powerful enough to challenge ships that passed through the Narrows between Brooklyn and Staten Island. Shortly after the War of 1812, the federal government decided to build a granite replacement for the old British fort. The new structure was built in 1825 and unofficially named “Fort Hamilton” after the first Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton. During the Civil War, Fort Hamilton and other fortifications on Staten Island protected New York Harbor against Confederate raiders.
copyright © 2019 Schwarz Gallery
|Price: ||Price upon request|
|Inventory: ||RS 2441|
| || |
|Category: ||•a:Philadelphia•boat•coast•marine•nineteenth century•a:American•|