|| This item has been sold
|Artist: ||Benjamin Ridgeway Evans|
|Title: ||Landing Avenue and Coates Street (as it appeared c. 1860-65)|
|Media: ||Watercolor on paper, mounted on canvas; 9 7/8 x 24 3/4 inches|
|Description: ||Signed, dated, and inscribed in ink at lower left to right: "B.R. EVANS/DEL./Philadelphia/[ . . . ] 1880"
Label (handwritten in ink) removed from former backing: "Landing Ave & Coates St./prior to 1865 & after 1860/for identification of buildings owners, history etc./see/'The Addition to Fairmount Park and the Preservation of the Purity of the Water/Supply [ . . . ] June 28th,1864'"
Label (possibly framer, printed) on backing verso: "Manufactured by/HALL & GARRISON,/No. 1126 Washington Avenue,/Interior decorations in Hard Woods a Speciality."
Exhibited (probably): Pennsylvania Museum of Art (now Philadelphia Museum of Art), "Life in Philadelphia" (May 1-September 22, 1940), as "The Green Street Entrance to Fairmount Park," lent by Joseph Carson [Pennsylvania Museum label removed from former backing]|
Another version of this watercolor, Landing and Coates Streets (1884, after his version of 1868), owned by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, was shown in the exhibition The Fairmount Waterworks, 1812-1911, held at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in the summer of 1988 (see “The Fairmount Waterworks 1812-1911,” Philadelphia Museum of Art Bulletin, vol. 84 [Summer 1988], p. 42, no. 360). The existence of at least five versions of this view (the two illustrated here, two at the Historical Society, and another at the Library Company of Philadelphia) suggests that Evans may have painted them for the owners of the various buildings depicted, whose patronage he may have solicited.
Each time Fairmount Park was enlarged, many buildings had to be torn down, and the owners of the properties compensated. In the Quarter-Sessions in the Matter of the Additions to Fairmount Park (Philadelphia, 1866), Egbert K. Nichols records the amounts the owners were to be paid. The Morris Hotel and a building belonging to the Green and Coates Street Passenger Railway, both seen in this view, are two of the structures that had to be razed to make way for the park. The Rialto House, seen to the left of the hotel, was a place where visitors to the park could stop for refreshments.
copyright © 2018 Schwarz Gallery
|Price: ||This item is no longer available for sale|
|Inventory: ||RS 2518|
| || |
|Category: ||•a:American•a:Philadelphia•Philadelphia•nineteenth century•cityscape•park•building•|