|Artist: ||Charles Lewis Fussell|
|Title: ||Flatlands, Brooklyn|
|Year: ||c. 1890|
|Media: ||Oil on canvas, 6 1/4 x 8 3/4 inches|
|Description: ||Signed and inscribed at lower left: “C. L. FUSSELL/FLATLANDS”|
Flatlands was the British name for a Dutch group of settlements in Brooklyn that had collectively been known since 1647 as New Amersfoort, an area that comprises the present neighborhoods of Marine Park, Mill Basin, Bergen Beach, Georgetown, Canarsie, East Flatbush, and Starrett City. Throughout the colonial period and the first half of the nineteenth century the sparsely populated area was used for farming, and fishermen harvested clams from Jamaica Bay.
The area began to develop after 1875, when the Brooklyn City Railroad Company provided transportation to shopping districts in downtown Brooklyn. The population increased after streetcars on Flatbush Avenue were electrified in 1893. Flatlands was one of the last towns in the county to be annexed to the city of Brooklyn in 1896.
copyright © 2018 Schwarz Gallery
|Price: ||Price upon request|
|Inventory: ||RS 2445|
| || |
|Category: ||•a:Philadelphia•landscape•marine•New York•nineteenth century•river•sailboat•a:American•|