George Cochran Lambdin
Oil on canvas, 8 × 6 inches
Signed in pencil on stretcher verso: “Geo. C. Lam[bdin]”
EXHIBITIONS: “The Victorian Child,” 1 July–29 August 1993, Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, Hagerstown, Maryland
A son of the portraitist James Reid Lambdin
(1807–1889), George Cochran Lambdin was born in Pittsburgh and moved to Philadelphia at an early age. Trained by his father, he began to exhibit at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in 1848, and studied in Europe during the mid-1850s.
Other than another trip to Rome in 1870 and a two-year stay in New York from 1868 to 1870, Lambdin spent his entire career in Philadelphia. He exhibited
regularly at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts from 1848 to 1888, and
was elected a member of the National Academy of Design in New York in 1868.
Lambdin was especially
noted for the floral still-life subjects that he began to paint around 1857. He
settled in the Germantown section of Philadelphia and cultivated a garden
famous for its roses. From 1870 on his paintings of roses were extremely
popular and were widely reproduced as chromolithographs.
Copyright©2008 The Schwarz Gallery