HOME VIEW BY SUBJECT VIEW BY ARTIST ITEMS OF INTEREST CURRENT EXHIBITION CONTACT
HISTORY CATALOGUES
Charles Lewis Fussell - September 2007
 
 
painting
 
Charles Lewis Fussell
(American, 1840–1909)
Artist Sketching near Flatbush, Brooklyn, c. 1890
Oil on prepared board, 9 3/8 × 6 3/16 inches
Signed and inscribed at lower left: “C. L. FUSSELL/FLATBUSH”
RS 5509


Settled by the Dutch in 1652 and one of the six original towns in Brooklyn, Flatbush was located in the center of an area called Midwout (middle woods). When Fussell painted these landscapes, Flatbush was in the process of transformation from a rural district into a fashionable suburb. A local grocer named Henry A. Meyer formed the Germania Land & Improvement Company and in 1892 developed 65 acres of farmland into a planned community. Flatbush was incorporated into the city of Brooklyn in 1894. The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts owns five related oil sketches of Flatbush.

  


Copyright©2007 The Schwarz Gallery

The Schwarz gallery is not responsible for any errors or omissions contained in this web site.