HOME VIEW BY SUBJECT VIEW BY ARTIST ITEMS OF INTEREST CURRENT EXHIBITION CONTACT
HISTORY CATALOGUES
Charles Lewis Fussell - September 2007
 
 
painting
 
Charles Lewis Fussell
(American, 1840–1909)
Flatlands, Brooklyn, c. 1890
Oil on canvas, 6 1/4 × 8 3/4 inches
Signed and inscribed at lower left: “C. L. FUSSELL/FLATLANDS”
RS 2445


Flatlands was the British name for a Dutch group of settlements in Brooklyn that had collectively been known since 1647 as New Amersfoort, an area that comprises the present neighborhoods of Marine Park, Mill Basin, Bergen Beach, Georgetown, Canarsie, East Flatbush, and Starrett City. Throughout the colonial period and the first half of the nineteenth century the sparsely populated area was used for farming, and fishermen harvested clams from Jamaica Bay.

The area began to develop after 1875, when the Brooklyn City Railroad Company provided transportation to shopping districts in downtown Brooklyn. The population increased after streetcars on Flatbush Avenue were electrified in 1893. Flatlands was one of the last towns in the county to be annexed to the city of Brooklyn in 1896.


  


Copyright©2007 The Schwarz Gallery

The Schwarz gallery is not responsible for any errors or omissions contained in this web site.