HOME VIEW BY SUBJECT VIEW BY ARTIST ITEMS OF INTEREST CURRENT EXHIBITION CONTACT
HISTORY CATALOGUES
The Green Tree: Highlights from the Collection of the Mutual Assurance Company of Philadelphia - April 2007
 
 
painting
 
John Booth & Son

Watchman’s Rattle, c. 1875
Wood, 7 1/2 inches long
Stamped on tongue: “John Booth & Son/Philada”
RS 6362


John Booth was first listed in the Philadelphia city directories in 1862 as a manufacturer of carpenter’s tools at 1148 South Ninth Street. He and his son James began to advertise themselves in 1875 as John Booth & Son, tool manufacturers, at 833 Ellsworth Street.

Carved wooden rattles such as this example were commonly used by watchmen and householders during the eighteenth century to warn others that a fire had broken out. Such rattles were remarkably efficient: when swung manually they made a loud clacking sound that could be heard several blocks away. The rattle was replaced by more effective alarm systems such as the bell, the telegraph, and the modern firebox.


  


Copyright©2007 The Schwarz Gallery

The Schwarz gallery is not responsible for any errors or omissions contained in this web site.