HOME VIEW BY SUBJECT VIEW BY ARTIST ITEMS OF INTEREST CURRENT EXHIBITION CONTACT
HISTORY CATALOGUES
The Green Tree: Highlights from the Collection of the Mutual Assurance Company of Philadelphia - April 2007
 
 
painting
 
Unknown Maker

Hibernia No. 2 Fire Company Speaking Horn, c. 1875
Brass, 16 inches long
Engraved along the side: “HIBERNIA No 2”
References: Garvan and Wojtowicz 1977, 119–120, illus.
RS 6328


Simple fire speaking horns (also known as trumpets), such as this example, were made for daily use as a means to amplify the director’s orders to his men. During parades they were often carried in an inverted position and filled with flowers.

The Hibernia No. 2 Fire Company was founded in 1858 in Lambertville, New Jersey, and later merged into what is now known as the Union Company. As its name suggests, the company’s members were mostly Irish. They wore green uniforms and painted their equipment green; an Irish flag still decorates their firehouse on South Main Street. This trumpet was probably manufactured locally.


  


Copyright©2007 The Schwarz Gallery

The Schwarz gallery is not responsible for any errors or omissions contained in this web site.