HOME VIEW BY SUBJECT VIEW BY ARTIST ITEMS OF INTEREST SELL US ARTWORK CONTACT
HISTORY CATALOGUES
Europeans & Americans Abroad; Philadelphia Collection 73; September 2004
 
 
painting
 
Cesar A. Villacres
(Ecuadorian, born 1880)
La Place de la Concorde, Paris
Oil in canvas, 20 × 24 inches
Signed at lower left: “Villacres”

Designed by Jacques-Ange Gabriel and completed in 1763, the octagonal Place de la Concorde is the largest square in Paris. It was first named for Louis XIV, whose equestrian statue was at its center. In 1792 the king’s statue was removed, and the square was renamed La Place de la Révolution. A guillotine was erected and 1,119 people were executed there, including Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. Renamed several more times, the square became la Place de la Concorde in 1830. Gabriel designed two nearly identical buildings for one side of the square, one of which can be seen in this painting.

Cesar A. Villacres was an Ecuadorean artist who worked in South America and Paris.


Copyright ©2004 The Schwarz Gallery

The Schwarz gallery is not responsible for any errors or omissions contained in this web site.