|Biography: ||George Spencer Morris was born in the Olney section of Philadelphia and was educated at the Haddonfield Academy in New Jersey, Friends Select School in Philadelphia, and the Westtown Boarding School in Pennsylvania. He studied architecture and drawing at Drexel Institute and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts from 1896 to 1904. Morris and William S. Vaux, Jr., worked together as partners in an architecture firm until 1905, when they began working independently. Morris and Richard Erskine founded Morris and Erskine around 1908, and worked together until the former’s death. Morris joined the T-Square Club in 1890 and the American Institute of Architects in 1910. An avid ornithologist, Morris was one of the founders of the Delaware Valley Ornithological Club in 1890 and served as a member of the board of curators at the Philadelphia Academy of Natural Sciences.1 Morris was also an amateur artist who played an active role in the Philadelphia Sketch Club. He served as the group’s vice president from 1907 to 1910 and from 1913 to 1921 and was on its board of directors from 1902 to 1906 and 1910 to 1912. Morris died in Olney. |
1. For biographical information on Morris, see Yearbook of the Philadelphia Sketch Club (Philadelphia, 1918), pp. 13–16, 40, and 43; Obituary, American Institute of Architects Journal, vol. 10 (July 1922), p. 235; and Bruce H. Bentzman, “What’s That? George Spencer Morris, 1867–1922,” The Philadelphia Sketch Club Portfolio (June 2002), p. 3.
copyright © 2019 Schwarz Gallery